Monday, October 16, 2006

Drug Deals and Computer Technicians..

Zoran! I trusted the life of my computer
into the hands of this crazed Croatian.. ;)

One thing I love about the Croatian culture is how relational people here are. Everything I do seems to take much longer to get accomplished than it does back home, but that’s usually because so many more people are involved here.. One transaction that took no time at all to complete however was the transaction between the computer technician who was going to give my computer it’s life back and my Croatian friend Zoran. Zoran had a friend who works at a computer repair shop of some sort and agreed to work on my computer on his personal time so it would be less expensive for me. I was very grateful, as it was difficult to impossible to get some work done that was directly related to using a computer…

So Zoran and I pull up in his car to the parking lot of some shop, and about five minutes later his friend pulls up in a decked out black little European racer, with spoiler. I get out of the car, hand him my back-pack, unzip it quickly to show him the goods (my busted battery charger outlet) he nods, Zoran says something quickly and then we part our ways.. As I turned and walked away form this mystery man, I had the feeling I had just witnessed and participated in my first drug deal. I got back into Zoran’s car and had a few questions for him, who is that man, do I get any sort of receipt or proof showing that he will be working on my computer, a number to call him… Oh no, that’s not necessary. Zoran tells me, his friend will call him when he finds out what the problem is and how much it will cost. Things work out, the problem is and I give the technician, through Zoran, the approval to heal my Toshiba.. A few days later, we return to the same parking lot, get out of our car, this time we exchange money for my precious backpack, Zoran and his friend exchange a few words and we are off again. I open my back pack, hoping that it is actually my computer inside, and see my pretty little Toshiba smiling at me..

I love Croatia.